Managing School Closure as an Essential Organization
Social distance is essential to slowing the spread of COVID-19. At the same time, our communities must support our healthcare and critical infrastructure workers so they can continue working. During this challenging time the Komae app is available for free as a tool to help schedule and manage childcare coverage for our most essential workforces.
The Komae app is a cooperative childcare app that provides an important care management option for healthcare workers, first responders, and those working for essential businesses. Traditionally on Komae, parents swap ‘Komae Points’ as a way to manage and coordinate care for their children within a trusted network. If you’re someone who needs to receive more help than you’re available to offer to others, we’ve made points available for purchase. Likewise, if you’re someone who serves others more than you need care for yourself, we offer periodical point cash-ins where you can use your excess earned points to purchase awesome products and giftcards. In this way, the app can be used to coordinate the rotation of care days and communicate need within trusted groups regardless of your capacity to give.
Please fill out this form letting us know that you are an essential organization in need of childcare for your workforce. After completion of the form, our team will be in touch within 24 hours to walk you through the next steps outlined below.
- Our team will create a group within the Komae app, giving it the name of your organization so that the households of colleagues can provide care for each other when possible. If your organization is quite large, employees can choose to pair off into smaller groups segmented to different departments or buildings where colleagues are more likely to know each other.
- Our team will then send you an email template you can share with your workforce which will include best practices and a link to the group within the Komae app.
- Contact us with any questions you may have and to let us know how we can help.
- Buddy Up: If your workforce is in need of childcare outside of swapping exclusively between the households of colleagues, we suggest creating small isolated hubs of sitters and families, confining sit-swap relationships as much as possible to limit virus spread.
- You don’t need to have kids to join the Komae group. Anyone willing to help our essential workforces by watching their kids is welcome and encouraged.
- We encourage distance drop-offs. Rather than walking up to greet the other parents at the door or go into their house, just let the kiddos cross the last 6 feet on their own.